Monday, October 27, 2008

Homemade Butter Mints

I found this recipe from the website, Uncommon Artistic Endeavors, which is one of my favorites.
Ingredients:
1 lb box confectioners sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tbsp milk

Instructions:
Mix ingredients with a mixer until blended. The mixture will be coarse crumbs. Knead the crmbs together to make sure it is moistened. You can add a little more milk if too dry, or a little more sugar if too moist. You should be able to make a small ball and press it into the mold cleanly. (Ilet mine sit in the freezer for 5 minutes before popping mints out.) Pop the mint out of the mold and allow to dry on a flat surface. Store in single layers with wax paper between each layer. These freeze well. It looks crumbly, but when you smoosh it together, it forms a nice, smooth ball.

Tips Below:

The crumbled mixture before I added food coloring. I accidently melted my butter instead of softening it which made the mixture runny. I had to add more sugar to thicken it again.
They still tasted yummy!

This was my first try at making these mints. I could not get the food coloring to smooth out so the mints turned out speckled. I have some ideas for next time. I'll post if it works.

Since I made these for a girl baby shower, I used a teddy bear, daisy and bottle mold. However, the bottle mold didn't work well as I broke the bottles when popping them out. I'll need to practive that one. The bright pink and teal were picked to match the decor which symbolized the baby's nursery.


3 comments:

Clay and J said...

How fun! I love this new blog! I can't wait to try some of these new treats! Love the fall decor.

The Hows said...

this blog is so cute! i'm so proud of you! very inspiring. great ideas, too! thanks for sharing!

Wilson said...

Good job! I'm impressed.