Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Gitmo Balls

Instead of just eating green olives out of the jar to satisfy my pregnancy craving, I found a recipe from a former Bible study teacher to be more creative with the olives. They are a bit time consuming because of wrapping each olive. However, they are worth it.

Ingredients:
7 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese (next time, I will use more cheese...maybe 8oz)
1/2 c. soft butter
Mix together then add:
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flour
1 tsp. paprika

Instructions:
Make into dough then place a small amount in the palm of your hand; flatten; fold dough around green olive. Place on cookie sheet and put them in the freezer until firm. Store in freezer until ready to bake.

Bake at 350 degrees until crust is done (about 10-15 minutes). Also works well in a toaster oven for smaller serving size.


My attempt made 38 balls in which I froze most of them to pull out to cook as the cravings surfaced again. This would be a great appetizer for a party as well.



The dough is a bit crumbly so I had to makeshift the folding around the olive often.



The finished product. Mine did not all look like balls. O'well, still tasted yummy. I don't know why these are named "Gitmo" except for they make you want to "get more."

No comments: