Monday, October 6, 2008

Flower Cake and Cupcakes




I couldn't resist making and decorating Alex's first birthday cake after seeing the cute daisy flower pan at Hobby Lobby. I studied the brochure that came with it and decided I would attempt homemaking the icing and decorating the cake for the first time ever. The brochure was great in guiding you to exactly what items you needed to make the cake. So, I did a trial run (pics below) the weekend before the party. I got a little better as I did not have any crumbs enter the icing the second time. However, neither cake is perfect. My goal was completion, not perfection so I will not disclose all the mistakes I see or know about it. :) Overall, I was pleased. Icing the cupcakes with a tip was an idea my friend, Elizabeth, told me about. Thanks, Elizabeth! Through this process, I learned a ton about making buttercream icing, using tips, thinning the icing, coloring the icing, etc... Wilton (cake decor Brand found at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Walmart, etc...) has great resources to help with the icing. Thanks Layla for letting me borrow your booklets!

No comments: