Monday, November 10, 2008

Shrimp and Sausage with Parmesan Grits

I got this recipe from Vickie on her website, Uncommon Artistic Endeavors who adapted a Southern Living recipe.

Shrimp/Sausage Mixture Ingredients:
1.5 lb raw shrimp, peeled
1 tbsp butter
1 lb diced sausage (i used turkey sausage)
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3/4 c whipping cream
1/3 c chicken broth
1/3 c red wine
1/2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
Parmesan Grits

Melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add sausage, pepper, and onion and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove mixture from skillet.



Add cream, broth, and wine to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until cheese is melted. Stir in shrimp and sausage mixture. Serve over Parmesan Grits.
Yield: About 5 servings


Parmesan Grits Ingredients:
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
3/4 c uncooked quick-cooking grits
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp pepper

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 12-15 minutes or until thickened. Add cheeses and pepper, stirring until melted.

Grits are thick and creamy.

Evaluation and Tips:

This was the first time I made this recipe and it was delicious. My husband thought so, too. However, it is very rich so I could only eat half of the helping in my bowl. I served salad with it which was a nice balance to this heavy dish. I precut everything so the cooking process would be simpler. I managed to cook the mixture and grits at the same time so they would get ready at the same time, but it got a little hectic as both required stirring, and adding ingredients plus my toddler was competing for my attention. Thankfully, Chris was home to try to distract her.

2 comments:

Chrissa said...

I think Jeff would LOOOOOOOOVE this dish :)

Layla and Jason said...

This was yummy too! Thanks for letting me try it.