Monday, November 17, 2008

Rice Krispy Treat Turkeys

After seeing my friend Jolene's cute Rice Krispy Treat Pumpkins, I decided to try Rice Krispy Treat Turkeys. I researched them online and found multiple versions of them. I modeled mine from Marie LaBaron from website, Alpha Mom, but combined Jolene's recipe and added my twist.

Ingredients:
1 16 oz bag of miniature marshmellows for mixture
extra miniature marshmellows for decorating
10 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal
1/2 c (1 stick) of butter
~4 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
cooking oil spray
wax paper
toothpicks
Mike and Ike candy
miniature M&Ms
candy corn

Instructions:
Melt butter and marshmellows together until almost smooth. Stir in chocolate chips to color mixture brown. Stir in Rice Krispies Cereal until coated with marshmellow mixture. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes. Make round balls and put on wax paper to harden. Cut red (or almost red Mike and Ike candy in half long ways for the snood/gobbler). Use toothpicks with marshmellows or Mike and Ike candy for tail. Use miniature M&Ms for eyes. Use candy corn for nose. Can also use candy corn to make a tail. Yield: 35 balls.

Evaluation and Tips:
These were easy too make, just a bit time consuming once the decorating started. My hubbie pitched in to help which saved some time. Not all of his "turkeys" made it to the fall festival as he started making aliens, too. ha! This would be a great activity to make with kids. Originally, I wanted to make all the tails with fanned out candy corn. However, they didn't stay well so I resorted to toothpick and candy or marshmellows for the majority. Other candy like gum drops on toothpicks would work good for the tail also. Having colored toothpicks or marshmellows would be festive as well, but I didn't have any. I combined 2 recipes and added my own spin here, but one of the recipes called for cocoa krispy cereal to make brown. However, my method of turning the mixture brown works better as white marshmellow mix would leave white streaks in the brown cereal. For those who make Rice Krispy Treats, you will notice the increased amount of cereal, butter and marshmellows used to allow for more treats. Finally, my candy corn noses are backwards...oops. I looked at Alpha Mom blog again and noticed the white tips of the candy corn should be facing out on the noses. O'well...no one knew at the festival, but me. :) To get the candy corn to stay in place best, use a knife to cut a slit, then push them in. One tip for transporting... I individually wrapped each turkey in a ziploc bag as we were giving them as prizes. Originally, I had planned to use clear treat bags with ties or ribbon, but the turkeys were too wide to fit. The ziploc bags worked great and kept the treats from sticking together.
Mixing all together

Ready to decorate

1 comment:

Stoots Family said...

Those are just soooooo cute! I'm thinking about making them next week for the boys' classes! They will love them!