Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chicken Crescents

I wanted to experiment with chicken and cream cheese in crescent rolls for a change up in toddler food a couple of weeks ago. I found a "Crescent Roll Chicken" recipe in Bell's Best cookbook in which I altered/simplified for our liking and to be quicker for making lunch so I changed the name to "Chicken Crescents." I used can chicken for the chicken instead of fresh, 2 cans of crescent rolls instead of one, onion flakes instead of minced onion, and black olives instead of pimento. This was so good that I ended up serving it for dinner one night in which my husband enjoyed, too. However, it makes a great toddler and mom lunch, too....and did I mention...it is very easy! :) Eventually, this would be a great food to make with your children as they can help stuff the mixture in the crescents and close them.

Ingredients:
2 cans crescent rolls
2 (5oz) cans of premium chicken breast or 2 c. chopped chicken
3 Tbsp. melted butter
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. onion flakes or minced onion
1 (2.25 oz) can sliced black olives or 1/4 c. chopped pimento

Instructions:
1. Mix cheese with 3 tablespoons butter.
2. Mix chicken, onion, and black olives with the cheese and butter.
3. Separate rolls into 4 rectangles.
4. Seal at perforations.
5. Place glob of chicken mix in center adn pull up 4 corners and seal edges.
6. Spray tops with butter or melt 2 tablespoons of butter and pour over rolls.
7. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Tips to make hor d'oeuvres or toddler size: You can stuff a small amount inside the individual crescent roll triangles to make a heavy hor d'oeuvres. If you do, 2 cans will make 16 chicken crescents. I make a few of these small ones for my toddler anyway along with the regular size ones; notice the 3 small ones in the bottom right corner of baking sheet.


The crescents do not have to be closed perfectly. They will have character and uniqueness when cooked. I had one extra crescent left over so I made a crescent roll out of it (bottom left corner).

I usually eat 1.5-2 regular size ones at a meal while my toddler usually eats one small one. I serve these with vegetable(s) and fruit.

1 comment:

Layla and Jason said...

They were yummy! Thanks for lunch. We enjoyed it.